The Main Street Plainfield, Inc. FAÇADE GRANT PROGRAM is intended to provide financial assistance for exterior building façade improvements in the historic commercial district in downtown Plainfield. The goal of the program is to attract shoppers and catalyze investment through improved aesthetics. The Design Review Committee will follow the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings when reviewing grant applications. Guidelines may be found at: http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/tax/rhb/stand.htm
Pre-application design assistance is strongly encouraged.
Façade Grants have a maximum award of $15,000. The applicant must provide a 50% match.
- Intended grant recipients are within the Main Street Designated District. The district is roughly Pickett Street to the East, White Lick Creek to the West, Carter Street to the South, and Krewson Street to the North.
- Priority will be given to buildings located within the historic district or eligible for listing; however, the Design Review Committee has the discretion to grant funds to other significant buildings if the need of improvements and benefit to the community is deemed to be substantial.
- The Design Review Committee has the discretion to grant funds to other business types if the need of improvements and benefit to the community is deemed to be substantial.
- Window repair/replacement/restoration of historic/original/existing windows;
- Restoration of original façade;
- Masonry repair;
- Painting or cleaning, with appropriate methods that will not damage building;
- Cornices, entrances, doors, decorative detail;
- Lighting, signs, window display areas;
- Other activities that restore the original exterior architecture;
- Architectural fees associated with the façade improvements.
- Interior work;
- Activities not visible from the public right-of-way, unless a necessary component of façade improvement work;
- Activities inconsistent with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings;
- Demolition or acquisition of property;
- Permit Fees;
- Sidewalks or paving;
- Repair or creation of features not consistent with original architecture.
Guidelines and Application Procedure
- Prior approval of the Design Review Committee is necessary. No work that has already been started will be eligible for funding through this grant.
- The applicant must be the owner of the building, or if a lessee, must have written permission from the building owner for the work proposed.
- Projects must be completed within 1 year of approval. After 1 year, the applicant must re-apply for funds with no guarantee.
- Whenever possible, local (Hendricks County) contractors, materials, and tradesmen should be used for the work. Contractors, electricians, and other tradesmen should all be licensed in their field.
- Volunteer work is permitted on projects but is not a billable item, therefore volunteer work/time is ineligible for grant funding.
- Main Street Plainfield Inc. reserves the right to approve or deny any application for any reason.
- Upon completion of work, all receipts must be presented and a member from the Design Review Committee must inspect the completed work before disbursement of funds.
- No funding will be provided for work that deviates from the approved application, if the changes were not submitted and approved by the Design Review Committee.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for the Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits. Assistance with that process can be provided upon request.
- The applicant must obtain all required building permits from the Town of Plainfield.
Applicants please complete the form below with the listed supporting documents.